The Cyberpunk 2077 permanent Relic Malfunction bug is an annoying glitch that leaves the message on your screen indefinitely during the mission Automatic Love. Sure, you can still complete the game, but having that message up for the rest of your playthrough is irritating. Unfortunately, the Relic Malfunction glitch persists even if you close the game and re-open it or reset your system. Fortunately, there are two fixes for the Relic Malfunction message bug in Cyberpunk 2077, including one that works on PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X|S.
Cyberpunk 2077 Relic Malfunction PC bug fix
The first of two Cyberpunk 2077 Relic Malfunction glitch fixes we have works for PC only, and it’s by far the easier one.
Just follow these instructions:
- Download the FX Begone mod from NexusMods
- Use Vortex to install it if possible.
- Install it manually if need be. However, you need to make sure to keep track of where the files are placed.
- Load the save affected by the glitch.
- You’ll notice the Relic Malfunction bug is gone.
- Save the game.
- Exit to desktop.
- Remove the FX Begone mod
Now, when you load the save, the bug will be gone, and you can continue the game as usual.
Cyberpunk 2077 Relic Malfunction glitch fix for PS5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC
You can also fix the Relic Malfunction bug in Cyberpunk 2077 on PS5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC by completing two short sidequests. For whatever reason, finishing these resets V’s viewpoint and eliminates the issue.
To fix the bug, follow these instructions:
- Make sure you have at least 6 body.
- Head to Megabuilding H8 in Japantown, Westbrook.
- Look near the entrance for Brendan, the vending machine.
- If you see a tech working on Brendan, head to an apartment and sleep for 24 hours, then come back.
- Speak to Brendan and complete the missions “I Can See Clearly Now” and “Spray Paint.”
- At the conclusion to “Spray Paint,” the Relic Malfunction bug will be removed.
If you’ve already completed Brendan’s questline before the bug happened. Don’t give up hope. There are allegedly two more missions that will clear it:
- I Fought the Law
- Happy Together (sad path)
Unfortunately, they’re not as easy to access and complete as Brendan’s quests.
Cyberpunk 2077 relic malfunction bug fix FAQ
A: On PC, you can use the FX Begone mod from NexusMods to remove the bug. Follow the installation instructions, load the affected save, and remove the mod after saving. Alternatively, completing certain side quests like “I Can See Clearly Now” and “Spray Paint” can also resolve the issue on PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X|S.
A: Yes, PS5 and Xbox Series X|S players can eliminate the bug by completing two specific side quests, “I Can See Clearly Now” and “Spray Paint,” found near Brendan the vending machine in Japantown, Westbrook. Completing these quests resets V’s viewpoint and removes the bug.
A: Don’t worry, there are other quests, namely “I Fought the Law” and “Happy Together,” that are reported to clear the bug as well, although they might not be as easily accessible and straightforward as Brendan’s quests.