You can pick up objects in Starfield without putting them in your inventory. This allows you to drag and move items and place them as decorations. However, it’s extremely tricky and finicky, and strangely, the controls aren’t even documented in the keybindings. So, if you’re trying to move and arrange items, you’re in for a tough time.
How to pick up and arrange items in Starfield for decorating
You can pick up an item in Starfield without putting it in your inventory by hovering your crosshair over it and holding the use key. This allows you to drag it around the game world and place it wherever you want. Unfortunately, there are a few issues with this system.
For one, you can only rotate the item along one axis. This means that to get an item in a particular orientation, you have to drop it and drag it against walls in addition to manually rotating it. Depending on the item and how the physics engine interacts, this can be challenging or downright impossible.
Keyboard and mouse controls for moving and dragging items
Navigating the world of Starfield with a keyboard and mouse? Arranging items is straightforward:
- Select the item: Hover your mouse cursor over the item you want to arrange.
- Grab the item: Press and hold the “E” key to grab the item.
- Rotate: While holding the “E” key, press Mouse 1 and Mouse 2 to rotate the item. You can let go of the “E” key to rotate the item slower.
- Place the item: Tap the “E” key to drop the item in the desired position.
Gamepad controls for moving and dragging items
For those using a controller, you can position items in Starfield like so:
- Select the item: Use the left joystick to highlight the item of choice.
- Grab the item: Press and hold the “A” button to grab your selected item.
- Rotate: With the button held, use the triggers to rotate the item, adjusting it to your desired orientation. You can also let go of “A” to turn it slower.
- Place the item: Tap “A” to drop the item into place.
Starfield move and drag item controls FAQ
A: Yes, in Starfield, you have the ability to pick up objects without storing them in your inventory. By hovering your crosshair over an item and holding the use key, you can move and place objects as decorations. However, the process can be quite challenging due to the system’s limitations.
A: To arrange items using a keyboard and mouse, hover your mouse cursor over the desired item and press and hold the “E” key. This action allows you to grab the item. To rotate it, press Mouse 1 and Mouse 2 simultaneously while still holding the “E” key. Releasing the “E” key lets you rotate the item at a slower pace. When you’ve positioned the item as you want, simply tap the “E” key to place it.
A: If you’re using a gamepad, select the item you want to move with the left joystick. Grab the item by pressing and holding the “A” button. To rotate the item, use the gamepad’s triggers while keeping the “A” button pressed. For a slower rotation, release the “A” button. Finally, to set the item in its place, give the “A” button a quick tap.